George Ternent Stephenson

George Ternent Stephenson was born in New Delaval on 3rd September 1900. He played local football before joining Leeds City. However, soon afterwards Leeds City were expelled from the Football League. Their players were put up for auction at the Metropole Hotel in Leeds and Stephenson was sold to Aston Villa.

An inside-forward, Stephenson did not get into the first-team until 1921. He was described at the time as a "thoughtful and cultured schemer" who made plenty of goals for his fellow forwards. Over the next six years he scored 22 goals in 95 games.

In November 1927 Stephenson was sold to Derby County for £2,000. Stephenson was used as a more attacking player and he scored 13 goals in the next 11 games. In May, 1928, he won his first international cap for England against France. Stephenson scored two goals in England's 5-1 victory.

Derby County had three successful seasons in the First Division with Stephenson in the attack: 1927-38 (4th), 1928-29 (6th) and 1929-30 (2nd). In 1930 Derby sold Stephenson to league champions, Sheffield Wednesday. Over the next two years he scored 17 goals in 39 games and the club finished 3rd in both seasons.

Stephenson was now reaching the end of his career and he dropped to the Second Division when he signed for Preston North End in 1933. He formed a good partnership with another former English international, Robert Kelly. Other impressive players at the club at the time included George Holdcroft, Bill Shankly, Frank Gallimore, Jimmy Milne, Bill Tremelling, Henry Lowe and Frank Beresford. Another experienced striker, Jimmy Dougal, joined the team half-way through the season.

Preston achieved promotion to the First Division in the 1933-34 season when they finished runners-up to Grimsby Town. Stephenson had a great season scoring 16 goals in 25 games.

Stephenson, like Robert Kelly, was considered too old for First Division football. Stephenson was sold to Charlton Athletic in the Third Division (South). In his first season he helped Charlton win the league title. The following season Charlton got promoted to the First Division. Stephenson, now aged 37, was once again considered too old for the top flight and his contract was not renewed.

After retiring from playing Stephenson worked as a coach at Charlton Athletic and manager of Huddersfield Town.

George Ternent Stephenson died on 18th August 1971.