Jimmy Murray

Jimmy Murray

James (Jimmy) Murray was born in Dover on 11th October 1935 in Dover. He was spotted playing schools football by scout George Poyser and Stan Cullis, the manager of Wolverhampton Wanderers, signed him in 1951. He turned professional two years later but remained in the reserves because of the form of Roy Swinbourne. Murray made his debut in a 2-0 home win over Charlton Athletic in November 1955. He joined a team that included Peter Broadbent, Johnny Hancocks, Jimmy Mullen, Billy Crook, Roy Pritchard, Billy Wright, Bert Williams and Bill Shorthouse.

In the opening game of the 1956-57 season, Murray scored 4 goals in a 5-1 defeat of Manchester City and ended the season with 17 goals in 33 games. Murray was a member of a forward-line that included Jimmy Mullen, Harry Hooper, Peter Broadbent and Bobby Mason.

In 1957 Norman Deeley replaced Harry Hooper on the right-wing. Cullis argued that: "At Molineux, Hooper found it extremely difficult to adapt himself to our style. He played several outstanding games for us but there was no doubt that he did not carry out our tactical principles to the extent I considered was essential."

When Wolves won the League Championship in 1957-58, Jimmy Murray was the club's leading scorer with 32 goals in 45 games. This included hat-tricks against Birmingham City (5-1) Nottingham Forest (4-1) and Darlington in the FA Cup ( 6-1). Norman Deeley scored 23 goals in 41 appearances that season. This included a spell of 13 in 15 outings during the autumn..

Wolves also won the title in the 1958-59 season. Murray was the club's leading scorer in the league with 21 goals in 28 games. Wolves continued their good run finishing 2nd in 1959-60 season. Murray was again top scorer with 34 goals in 53 games.

Wolves also won the FA Cup in 1960 with Norman Deeley scoring two of the goals in the 3-0 victory over Blackburn Rovers. Deeley later recalled he could have had a hat-trick: "Barry Stobart made a good run down the left and got to the byline and whipped a cross in. I'd charged down the middle and Mick McGrath, the Rovers left-half, went with me. He actually reached the ball just before I did by stretching and sliding. With their keeper coming out to collect the cross I watched as the ball beat the keeper and rebounded off McGrath and into the net. It didn't really matter as I would have scored anyway."

Murray was again top of the club's goalscoring list again in 1961-62 season. After scoring 166 goals in 299 games, he was sold to Second Division Manchester City for £27,000 in November 1963.

Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison became the manager and coach of the club in 1965 and Murray was a member of the team that won promotion in the 1965-66 season. After scoring 43 goals in 70 league games for Manchester City Murray was transfered to Walsall in May 1966.

Murray finished his football career at non-league Telford United. After ending his playing career, Murray ran a greengrocers in Tamworth and later worked for a contract car company. He currently lives in Lichfield.