The origin of the Stock Exchange dates back to the 17th century when dealers met to buy and sell securities at the Royal Exchange in Throgmorton Street. A group of brokers decided to set up premises on their own at the corner of Threadneedle Street and Sweetings Alley.
By the beginning of the 19th century larger premises were needed and in 1802 a start was made in building a new Stock Exchange on a triangular site between Threadneedle Street, Throgmorton Street and Old Broad Street. The two chief functions carried out at the Stock Exchange are the buying and selling of stocks and shares and raising the money for new enterprises.
The Stock Exchange is a plain building with a stone front, except the attic, which is of brick. It is an handsome, commodious, well-appropriated room, of whose interior appearance, the print will be found to give an accurate and characteristic representation.