In 1884 a group of photographers in New York formed the Camera Club. Early members included Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Steichen, Alvin Langdon Coburn, Clarence White and Gertrude Kasebier. Based at Union Square on the edge of Greenwich Village, the club provided fully equipped darkrooms for its members.
By the end of the 20th century the Camera Club of New York had seven darkrooms: five for black and white and two for colour work. The darkrooms are available 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.