1. What physical evidence do we have that celebrations took place in late December long before the birth of Jesus Christ?
2. Why did Roman slaves enjoy celebrations every December?
3. Why is the exchanging of gifts one of the core aspects of the modern Christmas celebration?
4. What is the connection between Christmas and Yuletide?
5. What was Braggot?
6. A popular game played in the Middle Ages during the Christmas period was called "Hot Cockles". Explain the rules of this game?
7. What is the meaning of "Christmas" and when was the word first used?
8. What does the word "carol" mean?
9. When were carols first sung in Europe?
10. What role did St. Francis of Assisi play in reviving Christmas activities?
11. What date were Christmas carols in English first published in Britain?
12. In what century did people first put up special decorations at Christmas.
13. What was the name the religious group that first introduced the idea of the Christmas tree?
14. What was the name of the religious group in the 16th century that claimed Christmas festivities threatened Christian beliefs and encouraged immoral behaviour?
15. In what year did Parliament abolish the feasts of Christmas, Easter and Whitsun?
16. What event took place that convinced people that the selling of Christmas cards would be commercially successful?
17. The first commercially printed Christmas card was published in 1843. Name the organisation that campaigned against the sending of this Christmas card.
18. Why is it customary to hang a sprig of mistletoe in the house at Christmas, and anyone standing underneath it may be kissed?
19. What was the name of the Queen who brought the custom from Germany of having Christmas trees in the house?
20. In what year was the term "Christmas Pudding" first used?