The Curtiss P-36C was produced by Curtiss-Wright Corporation in 1938. It had a maximum speed of 311 mph (500 km) and had a range of 825 miles (1,320 km). It was 28 ft 6 in (8.68 m) long with a wingspan of 37 ft 4 in (11.38 m). The aircraft was armed with 2 machine-guns.
The United States Air Force placed a large order and 177 were delivered in 1938. However, once the Second World War started the Curtiss P-36C was considered out of date and only four were still in service at Pearl Harbor.