By the 18th century the corn market at Bear Quay was unable to cope with the growth in the trade. Several corn merchants joined together and raised the money needed to build a new market place. Designed by J. W. Wood, the Corn Exchange at Mark Lane was completed in 1750. An extension was added in 1827.
The Corn Exchange is a very handsome building on the east side of Mark Lane. Next to the street is an ascent of three steps to a range of eight lofty Doric columns. These columns support a plain building two stories high, which contains two coffee houses, to which there are ascents by a flight of handsome stone steps on each side of the edifice.
The income of the propriety is derived from letting the stands, or small boxes, to the different factors and dealers, who pay about ten guineas per annum: the number of these boxes is about sixty-four, and they are usually in great request.