Billingsgate fishmarket was originally situated in the streets around Billingsgate Wharf by Lower Thames street. It was officially established as a fishmarket by an Act of Parliament in 1698. The City Corporation decided in 1849 to move the market off the streets when it built a building on the waterfront. This was demolished and replaced by an arcaded market hall in 1875.
Great quantities of fish are brought from the coast and by land carriage. Notice of the opening of the market is given by the ringing of bells. The market continues open till twelve o'clock, when the business closes for two hours, after which it again commences, and continues till five in the evening.