The Halberstadter Flugzeug Werke company began supplying the German Halberstadt D-II during the summer of 1916. Along with the Albatros D-II , the Halberstadt helped the Central Powers to regain control over the Western Front. After the arrival of the superiorAirco DH2 and theNieuport 17, they were reassigned to training duty.
In 1917 Halberstadter Flugzeug Werke company began producing the Halberstadt CL-II. The plane was created to provide air support for ground troops. With three machine-guns and five 22-pound (10 kg) anti-personnel bombs, the plane soon established itself as the best ground attack fighters of the war.
Performance Data of the Halberstadt CL-II
160 hp Mercedes
35 ft 4 in (10.77 m)
23 ft 11 in (7.3 m)
9 ft (2.75 m)
103 mph (165 kph)
16,405 ft (5,090 m)
3 machine-guns; 110 lbs (50 kg) of bombs