Fort Hall was built by Nathaniel Wyeth, the famous mountain man, in 1834. At the time it was the only American outpost in the area. 1837, Wyeth sold the fort to the huge Hudson's Bay Company. For a time the new British owners discouraged the American pioneers from traveling on to Oregon. Later it became an important stop for the emigrants on the Oregon Trail.
Lansford Hastings visited Fort Hall in 1845: "Upon arriving at Fort Hall, we were received in the kindest manner, by Mr. Grant, who was in charge; and we received every aid and attention from the gentlemen of that fort, during our stay in their vicinity. We were here informed, by Mr. Grant, and other gentlemen of the company, that it would be impossible for us to take our wagons down to the Pacific, consequently, a meeting of the party was called, for the purpose of determining whether we should take them further, or leave them at this fort, from which place it appeared, that we could take them, about half way to the Pacific, without serious interruption. Some insisted that the great convenience of having wagons with us, would amply warrant taking them as far as we could; while others thought, as we would eventually be under the necessity of leaving them, it would be preferable to leave them at the fort, especially as we could there obtain tools, and all other means of manufacturing our packing equipage, which we could not do elsewhere."