The British Military Dog Training School was established by Lieutenant Colonel E. H. Richardson in 1916. Some of the animals came from other dog homes while others were donated by the public who wanted to do what they could to help the war effort.
Dogs were wanted for guarding outposts, detecting mines and taking messages. It was very important that the dogs were able to carry out these tasks under fire. Training involved hand grenades being thrown into a pit while dogs were receiving their once a day feeding. If the dogs ran away they did not get their food. Most dogs learnt to overcome their fear of loud explosions. Those dogs who failed this aspect of their training were sent back to their owners.