Fort Worth was built on the Trinity River in 1849. Thirty miles from Dallas it was named after General W. J. Worth, commander of the Texas Department. It was one of the many forts constructed at this time to protect the border settlements and the emigrants moving to the American West. The army abandoned Fort Worth in 1853. It became a trading centre and in 1873 became a city.