The Soviet State Industries began producing the Petlyakov Pe-2 for the Red Army Air Force in 1941. Designed by a team led by Vladimir Petlyakov it had a maximum speed of 336 mph (540 km) and had a range of 932 miles (1,500 km). It was 41 ft 6 in (12.66 m) long with a wingspan of 56 ft 3 in (17.16 m). The aircraft was armed with four machine-guns and carried 2,645 lb (1,000 kg) of bombs. During the Second World War the Petlyakov Pe-2 provided the spearhead of the Soviet tactical bombing units.